View Single Post
Old 5th September 2018, 05:51

Mick O'Malley is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Beaulieu Autojumble

Last weekend's sortie in the A352 was to this cracking event. I've been every year since '94, bar one, with an old kit car friend who built one of the very first Westfield XIs in the early 80s, around the time I built my first Dutton Phaeton. We camp on a quiet farm a couple of miles from the venue, £10 per night for a 'pitch', i.e. whichever corner of the vast field we fancy.

Due to the impracticality of the two of us plus camping gear and, possibly, bulky purchases fitting into the A352, I left it at his place near Yate and we travelled down in the Merc. In the museum car park was easily the best recreation I have ever seen. At first I thought it was simply a run of the mill Bentley R Type Mulliner Continental Fastback but on the rear seat was a laminated sheet detailing its creation only last year from a regular R Type. 'Fabulous' is overused but I feel it's appropriate here!

There's a paddock of sorts on the site where cars can be offered for sale, usually at grossly inflated prices. The only kit car there this year was a Marina based Teal, nicely done but £30k? What a joker!

In the autojumble itself a familiar looking creation on a trailer was also for sale. It was off to Germany the next day unless a very substantial wad of Euros was forthcoming to secure it.

A very hot, sunny and enjoyable weekend slightly marred on my way back on Monday afternoon when I ran into a cloudburst on the A38. It was flinging it down but luckily my electrics escaped a soaking as I blatted through it doing 50s and 60s for about five minutes. Happy Days.

Regards, Mick

Last edited by Mick O'Malley; 1st December 2018 at 07:31.. Reason: Typo.