View Single Post
Old 14th February 2017, 04:42

Mick O'Malley is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up MGF Wheels & A352 Brakes

After re-stowing all the so far unused bits for the Monaco, I turned my attention to my MGF 15" wheels. The other day I'd browsed the interweb for professional wheel refurbishment and powder coating factors. Having seen the prices I decided to spruce them up myself.

I found a handy guide on a forum that Goggle threw up. The stages were: 1) A good clean with hot water and washing up liquid; 2) A light rub down with emery paper to remove any nasty areas; 3) Spray with primer and 4) Top coat.

As the sun was shining I set to with the banister brush and removed the accumulated crud, rinsed with the watering can and left them to dry.

They're a bit grotty but I'm sure that with some elbow grease they'll come up fine. I've decided on black wheels and grille as that Alfa in the picture on page one looks so good .

I'm still waiting for the two C clips that I ordered on line for the rear O/S wheel cylinder on the A352. Their absence was the reason for the brake imbalance which was one of the reasons she failed her test. The other, corrosion within 30cm of a seat belt mounting, has been addressed. I decided to take the clips off the Monaco chassis and use them so that I could get her MOT ready. This I did.

Today, weather permitting, I'll fit the new pads to the front of the A352 once I've popped the pistons a little and cleaned them with strips of emery paper. Key learning point: make sure the piston you're not working on is securely clamped as you gently prod the brake pedal with a long stick to expose the other one. Otherwise, disaster awaits.

Regards, Mick