View Single Post
Old 6th January 2022, 09:26

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Morning JG, I should probably come clean and admit that I really like the idea of running an EV and something like a Renault Zoe would definitely work for both my wife and I if the charging infrastructure worked, which it doesn't yet. I have even bought a manual which explains how to convert a classic to electric as that's something I've been considering for years.

The main thing I have against the actual EV cars currently available is the price, whether bought or leased, which is currently not economically viable for anyone in my household.

There are three adults living in my household (20y/o son still at home) and between us we have five roadworthy cars: two bought new (50mpg Nissan Pulsar and 55mpg Vauxhall Viva), two secondhand (50mpg Peugeot 107 and 35mpg R53 Mini Cooper S) and one classic (40mpg MG Midget).

Across those five cars we typically cover 15,000 miles per year so by my calculations our annual running costs, excluding insurance (which I believe is higher for an EV?), are as follows:

Fuel £2,200 (approx.)

Road Tax £230 - Mini £180 (6 months as SORN during winter) Nissan £30, Vauxhall £20, Peugeot £0, MG £0

Servicing £400 (approx.) - Nissan & Vauxhall garage serviced every 18 months at @£180 each, MG, Mini and Peugeot serviced by me at cost of parts.

MOT's £116 (a local garage charges £29.00)

Grand total to run five petrol powered cars for a year: £2,950

Divide that by twelve, and we have a monthly cost of £245.83 or £49.17 per car per month on average.

So, how much to lease one Renault Zoe, with servicing, between us and cover 15,000 miles?

An initial payment of £3,600 and then £378.98 per month.

https://www.gogreenleasing.co.uk/car...5dr-auto-20215

Ignoring the initial payment, that's £133 per month, or £1,596 per year more than what it costs us to run five petrol cars, and that's before we add the cost of charging it up (and battery lease another £50 to £100 on top? The terms don't make that clear).

And if we each leased a Zoe on a 5,000 mile contract? That would be £995 per month, which is £749.00 per month more than our current motoring expenditure. That's almost £9,000 per year more to run cars that will give us range anxiety when the weather's cold.

Once the price comes down and the charging infrastructure works I'll take another look at EV's. Until then, it's going to be Vroom! Vroom! rather than whirrr whirrr all the way for me