View Single Post
Old 4th September 2014, 17:00

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Slowly Taking Shape - Part 2:
Fixing the former into position turned out to be a bit of a palaver as it was my first attempt to use a hot gun gun.

Initially I tried to run the glue along the bottom edge of the metal, but most of it was set before I covered the whole area.

So instead I had to cover the mesh on the bottom edge, one section at a time, holding it down until the glue was set.

Obviously this took ages and in the end I had to shape the driver's side slightly differently to the passenger side.
( As I forgot the screens are not fitted symmetrically as neither are the seats. )

I left that to dry while I got on with some other chores.

I just had time to make a start on the fibre glassing & put some slits in the matting to follow the curves.

After a couple of sessions the leading edge of the wind break was under construction.

Initially I was planning to leave the former in place and cover it in matting on the other side as well.

But as I was covering everything up for the night it looks like the matting hasn't stuck to the mesh very well.

So when today's work has set I might try to remove the former completely and just build a fibreglass lip.
( Which will be built higher than it currently is, before a final trim into shape. )

Either way, this final photo gives you a very rough idea of how the car in shaping up.

As I said in my last post, attempting to build the scuttle with no experience was a huge leap of faith.

But I am really pleased with how Frankenstein's Monster is turning out.

So until next time, take care, Paul.