View Single Post
Old 5th September 2014, 16:20

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Oxford & Dave - Cheers gentlemen, there is certainly something very retro about aero screens.
Although ironically I really liked the three screen set up that the Cordite was supposed to use.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Very Slow Progress - Part 1:
After a bit of gentle persuasion the former did look like it could be pulled free of the fibreglass.

Although this turned out to the easiest section to remove and the rest of the former put up a fight before I got it all out.

Then it was another slow task to remove all traces of the glue.

Leaving me with a "clean" fibreglass lip to work with.

In order to get easier access to the cockpit side of the lip I started by removing the passenger aero screen.

At which point I remembered I wanted to test the rear view mirror screen, so it went back on again.

The problem is that the mirror is in the centre of the dash, not the centre of the two screens.
( As mentioned before, the screens line up with the seats, but the framework puts them in different positions. )

I wasted a lot of time testing various alternative screen designs.

Plus all of the above trimmed to be a little lower.

In the end I wandered down to the bottom of the garden to dig out the "one I prepared earlier".

Note: This is now centralised between the two screens, as lining it up with the mirror just doesn't look right.

But the fact the mirror isn't actually in the middle of the two screens isn't glaringly obvious.

So after finally agreeing to stick with the shape I already had, I could finally remove everything.

Then I mixed up some fibreglass filler and shoved it in/along the inside edge.

Because the glue had caused a small air gap that would be hard to fill with just matting.

There was a little bit of filler left over, so I added some to the passenger door gap to avoid wasting any.

Once the filler had initially set I could roughly sand it down and then tidy up the top of the lip with a cutting disc.

I will give the filler time to set properly before I put any matting over that side of the lip.

End of Part 1...