View Single Post
Old 6th September 2014, 16:51

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Scottie - Thanks mate.
Despite working on the car for so long, it is weird how the final look of it is only just starting to emerge.
If I can do a half decent job on the wind deflector lip and the cockpit edges I think it will really look the part.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The End Of The Fence Work:
While waiting for the fibreglass to set last night, I was back on fence panel duty, breaking up the last of the panels.
Then my wife & I could carry the bits of fence from the bottom of the garden, through the house and onto the drive.

So this morning we could move the panels into the back of my car.

Note:
Whilst I am building a small, completely impractical, no roof, roadster, I do love my estate car/work horse.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Another Small Step Forward On The Car:
After some other domestic chores were ticked off, I could finally return to the wind deflector lip.

With the formers removed it looks like this.

Before I started to build up the lip from the "inside" face, I went back to the outsides edges of the lip.

The cold reality is that the cockpit sides are not the same distance from the centre line of the car.

But I abandoned the quest for perfect symmetry a long time ago, so this is just another compromise I've got to live with.

However, I have decided to line up the final edge of the lip with the cockpit sides, regardless of where they are.

Hopefully, the more areas of the car that vaguely line up the better.

So I cut out the end sections and re-used some mesh to provide a new profile.

Driver's Side:

Passenger Side:

Obviously the two sides are not identical by any means, but I am not going to lose any sleep about that.

I cut out two long lengths of matting to cover the inside face of the lip and the join between body & lip.
( This last piece had some slits cut in it to make it easier to bend into place. )

The reality was I should have stuck to my normal practise of using smaller sections of matting as these sagged when lifted.

Still at least I eventually got them into position and all flattened out.

I also started to rebuild the corners.

By the time I have given this lip its final shape, I expect it to "fade" down to the scuttle long before it reaches the ends you see here.

As I have just added extra fibreglass to make the whole thing easier to build and then cut back.

That was all I managed to get done on the car today, but it is good to see the wind break slowly taking shape.

Until next time, take care, Paul.

PS
My new ear defenders have arrived and they are pretty impressive.

I used them whilst using the angle grinder earlier and mowing the lawn a few minutes ago and they make a HUGE difference.