View Single Post
Old 12th October 2014, 18:55

swifty is on a distinguished road

Paul L & DapperDan Thanks for the comments.

Finished the boot compartment off today, i basically made the frame with the body loosely fitted so that i could see the maximum area i had to work with then dropped the frame down onto the floor to remove the body and fully welded the frame before fabricating the sides etc out of 1.5mm mild steel sheet, i am possibly thinking of lining the inside with ally sheet but will wait and see what the steel looks like once painted the same colour as the chassis. One thing i will do is extend the sides up to suit the curved profile of the body to both bond/stiffen and seal.

IMG_4763.jpg

Frame in position after removing the body to check all is ok after fully welding the joints as you can get some movement after welding, all was ok so next moved onto cutting and bending the 1.5mm mild steel sheet to suit the frame, all open ends of the box section were capped to prevent future corrosion.

IMG_4764.jpg

Sides etc welded in place and etched primed ready for the top coat.

I've made the frame sit unaided on the rear sub frame to make it easier while welding into position with the body in place. This had to be done due to the size of the boot frame (the distance it sticks out to the rear) and the front bulk head sub frame means i can't drop the body onto the chassis so i had to be able to sit the frame on the ground, drop the body in place then reach through the boot hole in the body and lift the boot frame into position to weld without using clamps etc to hold in place.

IMG_4767.jpg IMG_4768.jpg

Also welded a piece of 10mm o/d stainless pipe in position to guide the handbrake cable through. The rear of the pipe sits inside the 50x20mm rectangular section to help support the tube, I've not welded this section of the pipe to the 50x20 section as i want to be able to remove the prop shaft tunnel as and when required in the future.

Well that's it for now see you all soon.

Last edited by swifty; 28th October 2014 at 21:36..