View Single Post
Old 6th November 2014, 12:31

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Oh Happy Days...
With the fibreglass matting set, I added a layer of fibreglass filler along the remaining sections of the lid edge.
( With just enough left over to roughly level out the bottom "triangle". )

When this is all set I will sand it down and put a skim of body filler over the top of the rest of the lid.

That should give me a smooth(ish) finish and avoid fibreglass splinters going into my hands.

As, like a moth to the flame, I just can't stop myself running my fingers along the surface.

But this simple bit of filler work is not the reason for this second update and my good mood, oh no.

Instead there is a big smile on my face as I type this next bit of build news.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

DVLA Update:
The DVLA have sent me two more forms following my last letter and phone call.
- I have to fill in a new SORN using my new Model name*.
- I also have to declare/sign that the conversion** work is complete.

Notes:
* I will reveal the name when it appears in black & white.
** I spoke to the DVLA earlier today to make sure we all agree on the text book definition of "conversion".

The process of changing from one form to another.

So at this stage I can honestly say my body shell has a new form compared to the Spitfire.
Which roughly ties in with the timings of old VOSA inspections, which were not of finished cars.

So all the relevant paperwork is now signed, sealed and in the post by recorded delivery.

Which means that all there is left for me to do is wait for my new V5C to arrive.

This really is a HUGE weight off my mind and a good morale boost for my build.

Note:
I did ask what other builders should do and will update the relevant DVLA thread later on.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Until next time, take care, Paul.