View Single Post
Old 2nd May 2019, 06:26

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Mr T - If only you had told me the frame work was worth £3.5m before I put it in the scrap metal pile.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Dpaz - The 'only pick up a stone once' theory works well if you know what you are doing, but I clearly had a lot to learn.

Thankfully, the shed will be OK without any insulation and the vinyl floor works well for a lawn mower with wheels covered in grass.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Water Feature Repairs
Previously, I posted a photo of some rotting plywood, which I worked out had lasted almost 20 years, so not a bad effort.

But it was now time for my attempt at rebuilding this to last the next 20 years!

So I made a cardboard template and covered it with brown parcel tape & cut out some fibreglass matting.

In the end, I added a few more layers of matting using various strips and odd shapes to give me this.

Once that was set, I used my jigsaw to cut around the edge of the template, drilled a hole & removed the cardboard.

So far, so good.

Unfortunately, as I attempted to fit this into place, it was clear I couldn't do it 'standing up'.

Which meant I had to remove the whole water feature from the ground.

The only good news about all this extra work was that it allowed me to remove all of the old plywood.

I then sanded and cleaned all the metal surfaces before fitting the fibreglass disc into place.

After putting some masking tape around the end of the water pipe I added some bonding paste.

I'd almost forgotten what a messy process using this stuff is.

That was left to fully set overnight, before another round of sanding and cleaning the metal.

Then it was time put the water feature back into place.
( Well, after treating the fence panel behind it, edging the lawn, weeding, etc. )

One of these days I will remember to document how I build up the base.
( As every time I've removed these big pieces, I can never seem to put them back together in the same way. )

The final job was to fill the area above the fibreglass with smaller pieces of slate.

This serves two functions:
- It hides all the working of the water feature.
- It also slows down the flow of the water so it just overflows over the sides.

Who knew the new skills I learned while building my car would come it so handy in the garden?

Until next time, take care, Paul.