View Single Post
Old 22nd April 2017, 13:43

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Dave P, Deni & RedRatBike - Thanks for the encouragement chaps.

I'll certainly try my best to get a decent paint finish, but the paint must be seen within the context of the whole build.

As I abandoned any quest for perfection many years ago in an attempt to actually get the car on the road, warts and all.

I am sure I read something about there being over 30 million cars in the UK, yet my Triumph Swordfish is a genuine one off.

The entire (extended) Sammio family (Spyder, Chevaux, G-46, Cordite, revised Ribble Navigator + Miglia Speedster) must be less than 200 cars.

And not all of those are on the road, so I will take pride in the unique nature of my build and refer back to one my favourite comments on this build thread…

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford1360 View Post
It's all looking good and solid - like a 50 year-old race car that has been into the hay bales a few times in its life - perfect.
Which was certainly the approach I took when I painted my last racing MZ, complete with a big dent in the tank.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Next Steps:
'Real' work has been hectic since I got back from Ireland and I seem to be very tired all of the time.

So whilst I had planned to do some basic prep work on the car in the evenings this week, I never got around to doing anything.

I'd booked the engine in for Tuesday (25th April), but make some last minute arrangements to drop the car off earlier today.

As the garage closes at 12 noon on Saturdays, this meant a bit of last minute work this morning…

Washed the engine bay and underside of the bonnet:

Before:

After:

Note: Sorting out some inner front wheel arches is still on my "To Do" list.

Noticed a bad paint reaction along the bulkhead where clutch fluid was spilt.

Finally re-fitted the Frankenlid inside the boot.

Although I've been trying to ignore the damage inside the boot area caused by the car falling off the axle stands.

So today I just made a token gesture towards the repair work needed, by applying some Kurust.

I'll finish hammering out the dents when I get the car back.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Then it was time to head off to Acton to find the garage.

I knew I was getting close when I first saw an old Herald coming the other way, closely followed by a TR6.

Outside:

Inside:

Had a good chat with the guys there and it looks like my car is in safe hands.

The journey home involved a couple of trains, but cost just £1.50!

Until next time, take care, Paul.