View Single Post
Old 9th May 2017, 05:35

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Froggyman – Cheers.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Mister Towed, JaguarTVR, Lancelot Link & Molleur – Thanks for the feedback gentlemen, I really appreciate it.

Just to cover all the points in one go…

Flyweight Filler
- There was a dent in the tin when it arrived and I didn’t think much of it at the time.
- However, as this dent covered the lid area, I guess it wasn’t fully airtight and has gone off a bit/lot.
- So I’ve ordered a new tub just to make my life easier.

Jeff H
- I’ve already picked up a few painting/preparation tips from Jeff.
- It is also clear that his great paint finishes are directly linked to his detailed preparation work.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Setting Expectations
To be honest, I did seriously consider just driving the car to Jeff to get a professional paint job.

But part of me really wants to paint the car myself to complete this whole ‘warts and all’ build.

In an ideal world, I would just throw a serious amount of time at this preparation stage.

As I’ve been re-reading other builder’s threads and I know this is the key to getting a great finish.

E.g. Mr T

Unfortunately, I just do not have the spare time available at the moment to prep the car to a very high standard.
( Especially as there is a list of small, but time consuming ‘odd jobs’ to do too. )

Therefore, I am left with a stark choice:
- Paint the car in the next few weeks/months to finally get some colour on it with a less than perfect base.
- Put off painting until ‘sometime in the future’ (which may never actually materialise) when I can do a better job.

So I have spent the last few weeks reconciling myself to living with a lower standard paint job.

My dark Brunswick green paint will definitely highlight any flaws in the bodywork, but so what?

There is a list of things that are less than perfect on this car and I still love it.

Actually, I shouldn’t be comparing my work to professional painters in the first place.

Instead, I should just take pride in completing a difficult build, outside on my driveway, with no prior experience.

So if I can achieve a smooth, but slightly undulating surface, I’ll take that for now.

Cheers, Paul.