View Single Post
Old 13th June 2012, 17:08

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Spent a couple of hours tinkering with the dashboard today. First cut it down at the ends and cut the holes for the gauges so I could see if there were going to be any clearance issues -

I needed to cut a little of the original edge off the top of the body and was prepared to modify the frame to clear the backs of the instruments where necessary. As it happens, I was able to trial fit all three main gauges and the oil pressure gauge in suitable positions without having to chop the frame about -

The angle of the GT6 speedo is determined by the frame fouling the threaded mounting rod on the back with it upright. I'm not worried about that though as with it the way it is the driver has a clear view of the 30 to 70mph range. The Vitesse rev counter fits at any angle but I rather like it with the red line uppermost, while the Herald fuel/temperature gauge can clearly be seen by the driver and contains the useful warning lights for the indicators and main beam. I'm not too sure about the oil pressure gauge where it is though. I may move it under the dash and leave a smooth centre panel.

I'm hoping to have the other end lined up, the gap filled and the whole thing bonded down by close of play tomorrow -

Once that's done I'll be ready to bond the body down. Scary...