View Single Post
Old 4th June 2017, 07:30

Jaguartvr is on a distinguished road

The trouble with tetroseal is that all the mud, oil and general crap tends to stick to it, once it's been on for a few months it is impossible to get clean. Flow coat comes out very smooth, even on the rough bits, a quick squirt with the hose and it looks as good as new.
On the inside of my bonnet there were the slice cuts to bring the edges in, this left 2 areas with very visible bodges, sorry I meant to say skilful adaptations. I just nibbed them off with the trusty belt sander.
One thick coat of flow coat and the repairs are almost invisible, as are my plumbing tubes for the wiring. Took about 40 minutes to do and the tin of flow coat was £25.

On the inner bonnet I had flow coated in in dark blue and was very pleased with the result but I changed my mind on the colour so had to put another coat on. The flow coat has wax in it that rises to the to surface keeping the air out to get it to set. Someone on the forum warned me that the wax may prevent the second coat from bonding. I just wiped the first coat with panel wipe and slapped on the 2nd coat, I say slapped because that is what I did, the thicker the coat the more it hides.

Under the bonnet before flow coat

First coat

Second coat

On the last picture you can see where I extended the bonnet under the bulge to give it a bit of depth. It is simply a couple of layers of matting and carefully finished of with..........yes you've guessed it the trusty belt sander.

To mix the flow coat or any other resin I use old milk bottles cut like this

We always buy our milk in Tesco so the bottles are always the same, add resin/flowcoat to the line and add the correct amount of activator with a syringe (sorry brains gone dead, can't remember the quantities) once you have worked out the amount of resin that the milk bottle holds you just have to add the correct amount from the syringe that way you don't have to measure every time you mix it.
I have a small paddle mixer from Ebay that fits into the milk bottle on the battery drill so takes just a few seconds to mix it very well. Cheap box of disposable paint brushes (20p each) and it makes it an easy job.

Last edited by Jaguartvr; 4th June 2017 at 07:37..