View Single Post
Old 18th December 2016, 18:46

casamolino is on a distinguished road

Good evening , i haven`t used the SWB for a couple of weeks so i decided one Saturday to give it a run , the battery has been weak for some time so i wasn`t to hopeful , well it would hardly turn over and also threw up an EML on the dash . The following weekend with new battery in hand (well two) that was fitted the engine now turned over as you would imagine but would still not fire . Back in Summer before the trip to Italy a coil pack has failed and the symptoms were the same this time , this time i decided to replace all 6 coilpacks , they were ordered and fitted the following weekend a really easy job . So back into the car ignition on (still with an EML) and engine turned over but would not fire immediately i kept it turning over and eventually it fired up although the exhaust note didn`t sound right , after a couple of minutes running at approx 2500 rpm i tried the idling , it would idle but at 500 rather than 650/700 which it usually did . I decided it was time to go out for a drive , the engine ran but with little power . I called in at the local garage to ask the guys there to connect there tester to the cars engine mgmt system , it showed a number of fault as expected , they reset the system and then reset the EML , there was an immediate change in engine note and the idling changed to 650/700 , the mechanic who i spoke to told me that when a coil pack fails the engine mgmt system cuts the fuel to that cylinder and so my car had been running on 5 until the EML is reset , after another drive to check i can confirm we have 6 working cylinders and the exhaust note is back , if anybody else has a similar problem hope this helps , thanks Geoff .