View Single Post
Old 27th May 2012, 10:27

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

I do sympathise with your instrument predicament - although my donor came with a standard set of Vitesse dials I removed the fuel and temperature gauges without bothering to see if I could remember how to reconnect them , and neither the speedo nor the rev counter worked: both had broken drive cables, but both the gearbox speedo output spindle thingy and the rev counter input had broken drive cable ends jammed in them so new cables wouldn't fit. I managed to drill and pull out the gearbox one but my attempt to do the same with the rev counter was only partially successful. It does work but I think it might wear the end of the drive cable prematurely as there's only a couple of mm of the cable engaging. I'm guessing I'll probably have to replace the rev counter sooner rather than later.

Phil J dropped by in his 2500 powered BRG Spyder this morning btw, and reports that a few changes have transformed his car for the better - a thicker anti-roll bar on the front (his donor started life as a Herald van, so had a really thin one fitted) has sharpened up the driving experience while balancing the prop-shaft with a jubilee clip (!) has made it much smoother. Seeing you guys on the road in your finished cars really does spur those of us with unfinished projects on to complete ours.

Anyway, looking forward to your next update - this running report doodad is a great idea.