View Single Post
Old 30th May 2017, 09:16

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Jag - More top tips, thanks.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Possible Bonnet Breakthrough:
Yesterday I also started rubbing down the BRG on the locks, where (again) the paint was a bit thin in places.

However, I also had a play around with the various latch options I had left over from the boot lid.

As I was trying to think of a way of mounting the pins directly to the bonnet lip on the body shell, rather than to a separate bracket.

Unfortunately, nothing came to mind, so I carried on.

Last night I saw this photo that kevemm posted of his engine bay.

Which also shows his spring loaded Ferrari GTO bonnet catches.

Now I remember that Swify made his own.

But it turns out that Kev bought his from Ebay in Italy.

However, as I was doing a search, an another image popped up that reminded me of something else I saw yesterday.

As I have a pair of these sitting with the other bonnet pins/latches.

They were no good for the boot, as the key didn't come out in the open position, just the locked.
( Which kind of defeated the object of getting a pair with matching keys for me. )

But the Eureka! moment was the fact that this type of lock is definitely a KISS solution for my bonnet.

So I swapped the surround from the locking pins and in this (blurred) photo the tip of my finger lines up with the end of the cam arm.

So it the surround was kept away from the very edge of the bonnet the lock would be around here.

This would leave this much of the cam arm under the bonnet lip.
( Which will have a rubber seal running along its whole length after it has been painted. )

Apologies for another blurred photo, but the locks would need to be a bit deeper than these so everything would line up.

Note:
The advantage of using the big chrome washer around the locks is that it comes with a suitable rubber sealing washer.

However, I could just used a normal washer in the same way as the boot locks are fitted.

Either way, I'd be interested to hear what the rest of you think of this idea, have I stumbled across a solution?

Anyway, I came back inside because it had started to rain when I was outside at the bonnet.

But it appears to have brightened up a bit now, so I'm heading back outside again.

Cheers, Paul.