View Single Post
Old 14th June 2014, 17:02

Viatron is on a distinguished road

So today was second hump day...
Started with this:

Bent up a series of 2mm Ali brackets out of left over sheet, notice the horizontal face that sits on the body is bigger than the vertical one that the hump bonds and rivets to. That's because I am lazy and love my air riveter and if the hole is too close to the vertical face I cant get the air riveter in, its the little things that make life just that bit easier.

Pre drilled both the brackets and the body and applied a generous amount of PU Adhesive.

Riveted all of the brackets in place.

All the brackets need bending a bit to follow the curve of the hump, the outer edge far more than the inner one, this is just trial and error until the hump fits on nicely but you still have contact between the face of the bracket and the inside of the hump.

Another good dollop of PU on the brackets and the hump is slid into place. The hump is then drilled straight through the exterior of the hump and through the bracket behind ready for riveting. All the holes are countersunk first though so that the rivets don't sit too proud.

Quick coat of fibreglass filler making sure to press it well home between the hump and the body and a final contour with the silicon chefs thingy and it starts to look ok.

Sorry for the rubbish pics but was using the phone as I forgot to take the camera.

Whilst that was going off I knocked back the filler I applied to the other hump before I left last time.

And here we are, both humps on

First hump is pretty much there now, couple of pin holes that I will get with stopper before priming.

Much better shot of the fibreglass filler on the outer edge of the second hump that shows how good the silicon cheffy thing is at getting the base contour ok.

And the same join after about 10 minutes work with some 80 grit followed by some 180 grit.

Before I finished I did get the first coat of final filler on but forgot to take pics. sorry....
TTFN
Mac

Last edited by Viatron; 14th June 2014 at 20:09..