View Single Post
Old 27th June 2014, 20:33

Viatron is on a distinguished road

Another few hours in the bat cave this evening.
Wanted to get the drivers side of the tub finished and ready for primer today so broke out the dry guide coat.

you cant put this stuff straight on shiny gel coat as it just smears around so a quick go with the long board and some 180 grit had the sides looking ok already

Applied the guide coat

You can see at the back of the tub where it transitions into the rear wing I didn't take the shine off and it just hasn't stuck

30 minutes later with the long board and its looking pretty damn good

Couple of close ups of areas that need attention

Bit of orange peel in the gel coat low don near what would be the cill on a conventional car:

Here I've been over it and marked all the areas that need further work:

but another 15 minutes and thanks to the quality of the fibreglass there is enough gel to be able to get rid of most of them with no filler required:

Even though I didn't need it to see the flash line I thought I would use some on it as it demonstrates how well it highlights faults:

bit of filler work which didn't take very long at all:

Rear wing after guide coating, again a few small areas but over all very happy:

So that's it the drivers side is ready for etch primer then 2 coats of 2 pack primer filler followed by wet sanding with 320 grit and I can paint it. Sounds like a doddle when you say it quickly. Have decided to do the paint myself as well so ordered it today 2 pack solid colour, nice and period.

Before I left I started to work round the rear and found that the area where I stretched my rear wing out needed some love so bogged it up so its ready for final sanding in the morning.

Once I get the rear all sorted tomorrow I will be doing some re shaping at the rear to accommodate my rear lights,

not sure what will be required hopefully not much

TTFN

Mac

Last edited by Viatron; 27th June 2014 at 21:01..