View Single Post
Old 2nd May 2023, 09:39

Mick O'Malley is on a distinguished road
Default Tonneau. Part 1

Tapping into my suddenly resurgent enthusiasm (for the Phaeton), I decided to attack the long neglected length of Double Duck and make my tonneau cover. Having been more than happy with the one my seamstress friend (now stateside ) had made for the A352, I plumped for a similar two part design, the passenger side of which would provide a modicom of draught protection.

I'd ordered a metre of the DD but ended with almost two as it was the end of a roll, the extra being FOC . Retrieving it from the dark recesses of the cave and stretching it out revealed a marking that looked like a giant frog.

I cut off a rectangle slightly bigger than the passenger side opening and, leaving a suitable margin for trimming, made an impression in the fabric by thumbing it hard onto the front centre male 'Lift The Dot' fitting. I could then march back down to the cave and attach the first female fitting. Mating the two and stretching the fabric back I could then similarly mark the position of the centre rear fitting. It was then repeat at a fitting at a time to ensure reasonable tension. The angle of the sun makes it look slack but it's quite taut enough.

This seemed to take an age marching back and forth to the cave fourteen times . I then repeated the above for the driver's side, but this time fitting the first two to the remaining uncut length, generously marking the edges before roughly cutting it oversize.

Accurate cutting to size and binding the edges yet to do.

Regards, Mick