View Single Post
Old 20th January 2015, 15:17

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Scottie - Matching helicopters... spooky!

Although I when I saw the Chinook I thought an organisation based near you, rather than one in Swansea.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Brain Freeze - Part 1:
The sub-zero start to the day meant it was just too cold to work with resin, or filler.

So I started by marking the lower valance for a further trim.

As the more I looked at the previous photos, the more this line didn't look quite right.

Next I went back to this photo of #274, which was a Pilot/Spyder body with a Navigator/Cordite bonnet.

Then I quickly found my front indicators surrounds using my new storage box filing system.

Although I couldn't find a really suitable surface directly under the headlight.

So I opted for an alternative position, between the headlight and the bonnet nose.

Then I marked up some masking tape before drilling a small pilot hole.

Then I was able to use my cheap (& useless on metal) hole saw set.

Which gave me my first hole.

There are some small bolts on my indicators, one of which hold an earth wire in place.

So I had to file three small notches around the edge of the hole.

This allowed the indicator to sit nicely and it is pretty close to the body work on one side.

Although this leaves a small gap to be filled on the other side.

Not that it is much help, but here is the "side on" view with the bonnet upside down.

So far, so good, but the real challenge came when I tried to find a matching position for the other indicator.

The harsh reality is that no two parts of the bonnet/wing are exactly the same on either side, so nothing lines up.

So in the absence of a laser guide (which I am now quite jealous of) I tried a mixture of things.

By the time I reached this point I was seriously cold and decided to come in and check the last photo on my computer screen.

Unfortunately it was clear that this was still not a good match and needed further adjustment.

I then got a call that my daughter was not well (nothing serious) and needed to be picked up from school.

The best thing about working in the garden is I can just leave everything where it is and go.

Although I did have to change out of my working clothes before I left.

This was at 11.15am & I still had to scrape the ice off my car windows and the car thermometer read zero degrees.

So I dread to think was it was when I starting work.

Once my daughter was taken care of and fast asleep, I headed back outside to finish things off as quickly as I could.

End of Part 1...