View Single Post
Old 20th October 2014, 16:46

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Mr T - It is actually much worse than that, as my "Plan A" didn't even involve paint!
I really expected to be driving around with just a shiny blue gel coat finish to begin with.

Scottie - I'll certainly be glad when this particular job is sorted out.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

A glimmer of hope...
After a poor weekend & with the tail end of a hurricane due to arrive tomorrow, I wanted to do something constructive today.

So I started by marking up the rest of the boot lid.

I drew curves for the top corners, and although the photos do not show it very well, the driver's side...

... has a narrower gap between the outside edge of the hump and the inside edge of the wheel arch compared to the passenger side.

I also marked up some curves for the bottom corners.

I then cut a few dashes along the sides to make it easier to line things up when the body shell is upside down.

Then I drew the corresponding lines on the inside like so.

I also trimmed off the edges of the foam / rain channel on both ends.

One advantage of using the yoga mat instead of a roll of foam is that I can build corners as a single piece.

With two corners and the driver's hump channel in place, you can now get a much better idea of the boot lid shape.

With parcel tape added I was ready to start fibre glassing.

Unfortunately by the time I'd cut out some matting to use...

The wind had brought some black clouds over head.

After a couple of rain drops landed, I couldn't take the chance and covered up for a short weather delay.

Have I ever mentioned what a dumb idea building a car outside was?

Eventually I was able to get back outside and add some fibreglass.

But as soon as I had cleaned & packed away all the fibreglass stuff the rain returned with a vengeance.

I just about managed to get the covers back on, but looked like a drowned rat by the time I got inside.

So once the fibreglass has had a chance to set, I'll turn the body shell over to avoid rain collecting in the covers.

Until next time, take care, Paul.