View Single Post
Old 12th June 2017, 18:34

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Molleur - Thanks, although I could do with eating a bit faster.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Life Is A Rollercoaster:
Things started off well enough as I wiped down the inside of the bonnet.

As I needed to get the bonnet out of the Summerhouse so I could get the car jack and drag that to the driveway.

I also moved all the wood from the patio out onto the driveway too, at which point I then had a 'brainwave'.

Rather than start jacking the car at the front, I thought I should start painting the bonnet instead incase it was going to rain.

I painted most of it while it was flat on the lawn...

Before lifting it back up to get better access to paint around the nose.

I then left it back down, to avoid the wind catching it, and removed the masking tape from the edge.
( As I want to paint the edges at the same time as the 'sunny side'. )

At this point I realised that my change of plans demonstrated the fact I am, deep down, 'Biblically Stupid'.

Remember the last time I didn't leave a long enough gap between wiping the surface down and painting?

Well, apparently, I clearly forgot about this and lightening does indeed strike twice!

The only good news is that there was only a few small reactions to the paint in a few small areas, the bulk of the bonnet is fine.

But boy was I kicking myself for not sticking to my original plan.

Anyway, I then tried to remember all of the lessons I've learnt from jacking a car up on a slope…

First job was to mark all the wheels, just so everything can go back where it came from.

I then couldn't resist starting the engine at this point and I left it running for a while.

This time I made sure that the wheels stayed on until I was happy that the car was stable.

As it was, this really was a good plan, because I almost had another toppling over incident.

In the end the rear end in on two sets of blocks at different heights to level the car out.
( Ignore all angles due to the way I was holding the camera compared to the slope of the drive. )

Whereas, the front end is supported by the chassis cross member across two sets of blocks.

Despite what it may look like, the car is as steady as a rock.

Unfortunately, the suspension allows the front passenger wheel to drop and keep in contact with the ground.

So I needed to jack up the suspension to remove the wheel.

From another lesson learnt, I refitted the wheel nuts, to limit the damage caused to myself.

With the car secure, I could remove the tailpipes.

End of Part 1…