View Single Post
Old 27th August 2023, 19:25

Mick O'Malley is on a distinguished road
Talking Bank Holiday Cosplay Fun.

Yesterday's sortie in the Monaco was to the above event, making three in a row to add to the A352's two.

Despite starting first touch consistently during the week, Friday night's damp had me in despair for a short while at 0715. However, leaning out of the cockpit and aiming a jet of Easy Start at the air filter got the job done. It's only about a two mile drive to the centre where the steward couldn't initially find me on her printout, which bizarrely wasn't in alphabetical driver order. I let her off as I was her first customer and motored the last 100 yards or so to my customary pole position for all day faux 50s motoring overalls/flat cap pose-athon..

The weather forecast hadn't been too clever but there were some good spells of sunshine before a couple of heavy showers mid afternoon which my home made tonneau cover dealt with admirably . I lifted many delighted children in and out of the driver's seat for parental photo' ops, and chatted endlessly to a stream of interested punters, only one of whom identified the car's underpinnings before I fessed up. The most common question asked was "Do you race/hill climb it?". I resisted temptation when replying. Queried as to how much it had cost me to build elicited surprise each time at my modest outlay, again answering truthfully.

She started first time at my 1730 departure and I motored home in the sunshine having had a cracking, if tiring, day.

This morning, having noticed yesterday that the fuel gauge wasn't registering, I removed the rear number plate and just managed to worm my arm through the access hole I'd long ago cut behind it and successfully reattach the errant spade connector. This shows the two riveted on plates with M5 Rivnuts which take the attachment screws.

Regards, Mick

Last edited by Mick O'Malley; 28th August 2023 at 07:39.. Reason: Add photo'.