View Single Post
Old 21st September 2023, 16:34

Mick O'Malley is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick O'Malley View Post
So, a couple of jobs for this week: 1) Fit the electric fan I found in my shed and 2) Move the electric pump switch to a more sensible location - it currently (no pun intended) lives behind the passenger side seat back.

Regards, Mick
Happy with the fan installation, I turned my attention to the switch. The existing is a bathroom pull switch located against the RH side (as you look at it) of the vertical plywood panel shown, and hidden behind the absent, in this picture, battery.

My thinking was that a potential thief would never guess why they ran out of petrol after a couple of hundred yards. The power for both the switch and the pump's fused relay came directly from the +ve battery terminal, their respective earths from a terminal block I'd mounted on the boot floor with a stout cable to the -ve.

After a bit of head scratching I decided that the simplest solution was to break the relay's earth and extend it along the existing loom on the passenger side, up to the switch on the dash, and from that to my frame earthing point in the engine bay below the loom hole in the bulkhead. This was a doddle except that the switch I'd selected from my box turned out to be a dud which passed current irrespective of position. I substituted a tested one from the box and all was well functionally. However the replacement switch is a tacky looking plastic abomination, so I've today ordered a repro Lucas item which matches the one below the horn push. It's located to the right of the indicator warning light, its matching fan control twin symmetrically to the left.

Regards, Mick

p.s. It's the Lotus at 75 themed retro meeting at Castle Combe on Saturday and the weather forecast is good!