View Single Post
Old 11th February 2008, 10:09
Enthusiast

MikeN is on a distinguished road

Lot's of problems with the Steering bottom UJ if you are using the Marlin supplied Rack (which I understand to be a Metro Rack) and like me the the R25 (or R200 Bubble) as the donor car.
The splines are of totally different sizes. And if you just pich them hard together (as I was instructed to by Marlin) they will eventually fail in service. I know this as I sheared off bolts trying to nip up the splines hard enough. They still eventually came undone whilst I was working on the car (thank god).
See my previous post on this subject of a year ago (search using Steering as the heading in 5exi forum).
Higly dangerous if you ask me, in fact short of total brake failure I cannot think of anything more dangerous.
Anyway what I did was get hold of a Metro steering column from the scrap yard, dismantle the UJ with the correct spline on it, and rebuild it into the R25 UJ. Sounds more complicated than it actually is.
What you are left with is the perfect solution, one that I think Marlin should offer as an option to buy or at the very least an exchange service. Something that would at least cover them from a legal point of view.
If god forbid a builder was to have a serious accident that ended up with someone being killed or maimed (group of people standing at a bus stop) then Terry and Mark would at the very least be sued into poverty and most possibly end up in prison!
They should at least send out a warning on this and include it in the 'Build manual'

I for one feel as though I have done my duty here as a fellow builder to warn all about this.
Regards

Mike