Thread: Radiators
View Single Post
Old 12th March 2017, 18:31

mcramsay is on a distinguished road

So today I moved the radiator as far forward as possible, this has allowed me to fit the fan behind the rad, I'm going to duct the radiator on top bottom and sides so all air entering the nosecone has to go through the rad. I'm also going to pop down to marlin and have the bonnet louvres done sooner rather than later.

I notived the rap cap didn't seem to have much bite when tightening up, so I gave a little bend on the tabs to make it seal firmer.. I noticed up run up today that the silicone rad hoses got quite hard... harder than I've felt before which leads me to two thoughts, has my rad cap not been sealing and my system has not been pressurising properly and should the hoses get hard at operating temp? The cap is set at 13 psi.

I did a quick little test with an electric air pump, I plugged into the header tank return ( 8mm from radiator) and plugged the pump into this. And then caped the return line from the rad. This allowed me to pressurise the system without running the car, the cap lifted at 13 psi on the dot and the hoses felt hard with pressure in the system so I'm guessing this is normal ?