Thread: Mystery misfire
View Single Post
Old 27th June 2015, 10:06
Enthusiast

MartinClan is on a distinguished road
Default Some progress

Yesterday, for some reason, I decided I would strip down all the fuel system just in case there was some odd problem or obstruction. I lined up an old icecream box under the swirl pot in attitipation of 1 litre of petrol pouring out and removed the bottom fuel union. Only a teacup of fuel came out. The rest of the contents was air. Err - that's odd...

It turns out that the low pressure pump, an expensive Facet Red Top, is completly dead. Open cicuit in fact implying some catastrophic failure of the internal electronics.

So - the Walbro HP pump had been sucking fuel directly from the tank through the empty swirl pot and the dead LP pump. Very impressive - but I am guessing responsible for at least part of my problem. It begs the question of course whether the LP pump, swirl pot, HP pump set up is really necessary. Anyway rather than redesign the fuel system I have ordered a new LP pump (more ££££). Should arrive next Tuesday - I can't wait.

I have to say though I am not convinced that this is 100% the problem - but it must have been at least a contributary factor.

What this space....

Robin