View Single Post
Old 11th November 2015, 17:41

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Pops - I really like that over head shot too.
( Although if I'd been thinking, I would have put the seats back in place to give a better impression. )

I look forward to seeing how you attached the bottom of the bonnet to the body shell, as that is also on my "To Do" list.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Swifty - Cheers, there has certainly been a lot of forward progress in the last few weeks.

Thanks for the sealant tip too.

Scottie - Thanks, the overall impression has turned out much better than I could have hoped for.

Patch Work Quilt:
Started the day by measure the gaps around the rear wheel arch.
( The current "spread" ranges from 3.25" at the biggest, to 0.5" at the smallest. )

Note:
I still haven't decided what gap to aim for yet, but as long as it is the same all round it will still be a big improvement.

Then jacked the car up again, but this time, I put the big wooden blocks underneath the rear wheels.

Hopefully, this will give me better access to complete the panelling work along the boot floor.

Next, I removed the tail pipes, again for better access and used my handy storage area.

Made a collection of templates for the join between the driver's side of the boot floor and the body shell.
( There really are a lot of angles to deal with. )

Had another look at how / where the boot lid rain channel hose would exit.

Then cut the shapes required out of plywood/fibreglass.

Drilled holes at an angle for the drain hose connector.

Before giving the plywood panels another a coat of paint/preservative.

Added some fibreglass matting to the bridge panels under the seat belt brackets.

Once this first round has set, I will remove the tape holding them in place and finish the job.

I also added the two small filler pieces behind the angle iron next to the cockpit floor panels on either side.

Again, there is more work to do here to finish off the job, as it is very hard to access.

Then it was time to mix up some more bonding paste for the boot floor to body shell panels..

I was able to tape the next two panels for the passenger side to the panels already bonded in place.

Then I taped the first two panels for the driver's side into position and bonded them too.

Finally, there was just enough paste left to add the fill panels in the rear cockpit framework.

Note:
I am very conscious that the bonding work looks like it was done by a small child.

However, this build has taught me that even the biggest messes can be made to look OK in the end.

Until next time, take care, Paul.