View Single Post
Old 15th November 2015, 13:44

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Saturday
Too wet to do any car work, but I still got soaked helping my mate bring a load of his stuff to the dump.

I also spent a bit of time thinking about my 'boot floor to rear end of body shell' panelling work.

As when I look back at other builds, I believe most people have simply left the space in this area "open".

Although I have struggled to find any decent photos taken underneath a Sammio's rear end.

This is Mister Towed's Moon Rover.

And here is a photo from when he fitted his Cherry Bomb exhaust.

You can see his "self contained" luggage box and I think the "natural" looking plywood is the other side of his rear cockpit panel.

Compared to this, my rear end is completely OTT, but, in my defence, it did seem like a good idea at the time.

However, "I've started, so I'll finish" and with a bit of luck it will create a good impressed for it's MOT inspection.
( As I doubt many other people will ever get a decent view of any work I do underneath the car! )

Finally, I took this photo of the Wembley Arch lit up in French colours in the evening.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Sunday
Cleaned up the connectors for the boot lid drain hoses.

Then fitted the hoses themselves.

Before wrapping everything up, so it doesn't get covered in bonding paste when the panels are fitted.

I needed to clean up some excess paste where these panels needed to go.
( Sorry the photos are not great. )

Then I could tape the panels into position (and remove the tape from the last batch of panels).

Before mixing up another batch of bonding paste and making the traditional mess.

It is not easy to get an overall photo of this area, so I hope these give the general idea.

You just need to imagine the whole thing looking like a singe unit when painted black.

Next I made some more cardboard templates for the panels to support the rear end inside the boot area.

Before cutting them out of plywood, one for each side, plus a couple along the rear edge too.

These were then painted / treated.

Note:
I want these panels to hold the rear end "steady", as the panels underneath the boot floor are not really "load bearing".

That was the end of car work, as we then went off for a family pub lunch.

The ladies of the house are current out at the shops, so I have a chance to post this.

Then we will be settling down to watch the last Hunger Games film on DVD.
( Before watching the next film in the cinema next week. )

So I'd better go, take care, Paul.