View Single Post
Old 13th January 2018, 15:53

jmc14 is on a distinguished road

I stupidly announced that I was done with the body work. After I took a closer look there were several areas that needed additional work to get the look as I wanted. I'm not in great health so I'm working at a low pace.

The Cheetah had a very wide, almost smiley face, radiator opening. It isn't my favorite look so I divided mine into 3 sections. The center is the width of the radiator and duct. The outer ends can hold fog lights or duct the brakes. I know that its hard to see in the pictures.

My son is in the car. He is 6'2". The seat can be lowered by 2 more inches. It's 42 inches to the top of the windshield frame.

I've redone the headlight buckets 3 times! I wanted the headlights to be small, and sit as far forward in the fender as possible. I needed the clearance for the tire to the headlight and I wanted them to blend in to the fender as much as possible. I ended up using Harley Davidson Vrod motorcycle headlights. They're reasonably priced, are self contained, DOT legal, and the lens has a nice contour. They are available in a more traditional lens lay out than the ones pictures as well. Options are good.

I've reworked the windshield base extensively. Now its a much tighter fit to the MGB frame and flows smoothly into it.

I wasn't happy with the rear deck. I've rounded out the fenders and made the deck a smooth arc from side to side.

This body is very heavy because of all of the extra fiberglass, body filler and other reinforcements that I've added to it. Because of that and the fact that my son and a couple of other people want to build this car I'm having molds made. This body is becoming the plug.

The body is simple and just 2 pieces. I've molded in the fire wall, dash, and interior cockpit into the tub. When it comes out of the mold it will positively sit on and lock onto the frame.

I've molded a rear bulk head to the 1 piece flip up Bonnet. The rear bulkhead of the hood and the firewall being molded in means that they will match up. No body work or fitting will be needed.

Thursday I bolted large industrial casters to the frame and mounted the body. It's ready to go to a friend that owns a body shop. He's doing the final body prep and paint. Then it goes to a professional fiberglass company to have the molds done.

I cleaned the shop from top to bottom yesterday. I hate body work and hope that I am done with it forever. While the final body prep is being done. I'm leaving the cold winter in up State NY and going to AZ. I'm going to act retired!

I've built a Cobra replica. I used my own frame and Corvette suspension and engine. Of course using Chevy parts in a Cobra build is just wrong. So, I sold the Cobra and started on this Quest to build a roadster that used the Corvette parts. I choose the Cheetah as a starting point because it used Corvette parts. I tried to imagine if the Cheetah had continued and a Street Roadster had been developed. I think this car is an alternative to the Cobra for Chevy fans. I can't wait to get it done and drive it. Having fun.