View Single Post
Old 9th September 2017, 05:55

Barber is on a distinguished road
Default Dashboard

I have been thinking about the dashboard for the Z3gato, and decided that re-using the Z3 instrument functionality makes sense. So....
See Lancia Zagato dash below as basic guide.
I want a single instrument binnacle to accommodate the current Z3 instrument pod, the current binnacle is close, but a re-worked one would be more “joined up.”

The dashboard made for Geoff looks a good start point. Replace the dual dial binacle with a single, larger, oval one to accommodate the current Z3 instrument cluster.

Re-use the original Z3 outer dash vents in roughly the same position per current Z3 dash using extreme left and right positions. Re purpose the current Z3 central vent area and relocate the 3 Z3 heater control dials there. In the consul, the current stereo unit and vacated heater dial positions in the Z3 dash to be used to accommodate a satnav/media unit. There is not enough depth at dash level to locate the unit higher up due to the bar running across the dash. Satnav/media units are all 6-6.5 inches deep.

On the passenger side, I would like a smaller part of the recess to be deeper for a glove box arrangement for placing phones etc (on a non slip mat if no door). So the recess you did for Geoff would extend further to the left, and be deeper on the lhs nearer the passenger door side.

Going from the left of dash would be:

Vent, glove/phone box, heater control dials, single instrument pod, vent. I would probably re-use the quarterlight vents on top of the Z3 dashboard and cut them into the new dash top.

That way, only the current centre vents, are lost but we retain full warm or cold air(con) using the same control dials as the current. setup in a Z3.

I will probably cover the dash and consul in leather. The consul would house something like this...

Dimensions (WxHxD)182 x 112 x 153mm