View Single Post
Old 12th March 2020, 21:17
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road
Default A bit early for Easter bonnets.....

Thanks to all for the positive feedback..........

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

So the next job was to fix the bonnets.
First I fixed the bonnet catches with polished stainless steel m4 screws.

Bonnet Catch by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

Again, I was lucky to find a complete set of new catches in the large box of parts that came with the car.

The original stainless steel bonnet hinge cleaned up and polished quite well. Royale suggest you pop rivet the hinge to the bonnets but I preferred to use screws and nuts so I counter sunk the holes.

Bonnet Hinge by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

Then, after carefully masking the top side and edges of the first bonnet I attached the hinge.

Then after masking up the second bonnet I could attach it.

Here are both bonnets joined together with the hinge. I also fixed the lower bonnet catch plates at this stage.

Bonnets by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

I then had to fit the bonnet seal which requires careful cutting and is quite tough on the fingers pushing the seal on all the way round.
The bonnet seals close off the engine compartment so that only fresh air can enter the heater inlet. (Which is an IVA requirement).

Bonnet Seal by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

The original builder had fixed the seal to a metal strip that was fixed with pop rivets to the four holes shown here, but it didn't really hold the seal in the right place so I made up new support strips that are made of angle.

Bonnet seal by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

Then it was just a matter of carefully positioning the bonnets and fixing in place with the hinge end plates.

Bonnets by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

Next up I've got to make some bonnet stays which unfortunately did not come with my car and weren't in the box of spares either. I've also got to fit the seal that goes along the back edge of the bonnets. Then I hope start on the fitting the front wings.........

.......peter