View Single Post
Old 23rd August 2015, 10:58

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Swifty - Cheers.

I currently have a lowering block fitted at the rear, but standard Spitfire shocks at the front.

See below for my latest ideas on the front arches.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Short Sunday Session:
With heavy rain forecast, I knew I would not be able to get much done.

But I managed to do two fibre glass sessions on the rear bonnet edge.

So now the whole thing has two layers of matting on it.

I've also added a 3rd layer where the cut to match the scuttle will be made.

But I've left the rest for now, as extra layers of matting will be added when I join this section to the bonnet.

I left this on the grass for a while, before transferring it to the shed so it can finish curing without getting wet.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I also went out for a slog* around the local streets this morning, as part of my battle with the bulge (not the one on my bonnet).
( * Slow + Jog = Slog )

I spent a lot of time looking at the rear arches of modern cars in the area as I was going along.

Whilst the gap between the tyre and arch varied, they all had one thing in common, a nice round arch profile.

So if I go back to this photo for a minute...

"Just" bringing the front arches in to that red line would still make a HUGE improvement over what I have now.

The other thing that occurred to me is that if I build a 2" gap, fitting larger wheels would still be an option in the future.
( I am sticking with the brand new 13" wheels & tyres that came with my donor for now. )

The other thought that I had requires one of my dodgy sketches.

I built a new scuttle section over the top of my Spitfire bulkhead, which makes it higher than Swifty, Mac, etc.

So it might be better to make the body shell extension shorter, thus making the join with the bonnet "chunkier".

What do you think?

Cheers, Paul.