View Single Post
Old 26th August 2015, 19:08

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Wet Play Time:
Unfortunately, I just couldn't get a decent photo showing just how hard it was raining today.

Although this one looking into the back garden gives a slightly better idea.

Still, I've been thinking a bit more about how the extension to the side of the body shell will work.

This is Swifty's version:

And this is Mac's:

But if I go back to my last dodgy sketch for a minute.

The key difference is my extension will not be coming to a narrow point towards the centre of the wheel arch.

I am currently thinking of using the width of the Spitfire bulkhead as my guide for the depth of the horizontal "cut".

So in the photo below, the diagonal line would go from the outside edge of the cardboard next to "P", to the top of the red arrow next to the 2" mark.
( Give or take a bit. )

This should mean the body shell extension is big enough to completely cover the Spitfire bulkhead.

Plus there will still be enough removed from the bonnet to avoid it digging into your back when looking in the engine bay.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Limited Dry Time:
The sun eventually arrived in the late afternoon and my plan was to add some extra fibreglass matting to the edges of the mould.
( Just to make sure that areas where the cut would be at an angle to match the scuttle had been re-enforced enough. )

However, I was was just checking which areas had a 3rd layer of matting, when I discovered yet another school boy error.

Somehow, I had managed to re-enforce the wrong edge!

So I have now ended up with 3 layers of matting all over the mould (plus the extra depth where the matting overlaps).

After leaving it to set for a bit outside, I've moved this into the shed to cure over night.

Hopefully, if the weather holds, I'll try to separate the new bonnet edge from the mould tomorrow.

So until then, take care, Paul.