View Single Post
Old 28th August 2015, 20:20

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Rene - Well it certainly looks like it was worth the wait.

I really liked the concrete slabs being lowered into place, a very clever idea.

I build the slab for our, much smaller, Summer House and that was a real pain.

I took a few photos today which I hope will explain why I am cutting the bonnet at an odd angle.

This is the Spitfire bulkhead underneath my Cordite shell.

This gives me my odd shaped scuttle area, compared to other Cordite builds.

The bottom edge of this stick lines up with the top of the bulkhead "shelf".

So there would be a step down to the 2" wheel arch gap (red line).

But if I use the top of the wheel arch as my guide (top edge of stick).

Then there would be a step up to the bulkhead shelf.

I hope that makes sense, but given the way today went, that is the least of my worries...

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Bonnet Butchery - Part 1:
Before I started on the bonnet, I wanted to trim a bit off the rain channel in the rear corners of the boot.

Not easy to get a decent photo, but the rain channel is just touching the internal frame work here.

Unfortunately, my wife had just left to take our daughters shopping, so I had no one to help me lift the body shell off.

So I simply channelled my inner WorldClassAccident and propped the shell up using bits of wood.

The "after" photo is not great either.

At least it was enough to confirm that this made no difference to how the front end sat.
( But it will help the way the rear of the shell sits. }

Next I used some straps to gently pull the front edges of the body shell into place.

Some bits of yoga mat were used to lift the bonnet a bit higher than was actually needed.

I also used some thick cardboard to ensure I had sufficient clearance around the edge of the radiator.

I marked up the ends of the new bonnet rear edge to match the Spitfire bulkhead.

Then the temporary lip was removed to help me mark up the area of the bonnet than needed to be cut.

Then I proceeded to remove bits of the bonnet in small stages so I could keep checking the fit.

End of Part 1...