View Single Post
Old 28th April 2019, 15:49

Jaguartvr is on a distinguished road

The door card can be removed with the door closed but if the door has deadlocked you can only open it using the key in the door lock which is hidden by the 250 door skin.

Found this on the web

BMW's fatal flaw?

Having owned BMW's for over 30years and a current owner of an X1, 5 series and a Z3 I will never buy another BMW until they fix this flaw.

Why?
Having had a nice Sunday lunch with our neighbours my wife pops into a garage to pick up some milk. Unbeknown to her she locks the car of my 5series as she put the keys in her bag.

One of my passages was feeling a bit sick and said she could not open the window so I said I would try but it was dead and would not work.

No problem I said, I need to press the unlock button on the dash board but again no luck.

Then I tried to open the door in the back seat but no joy, so I jumped into the driver seat to open the door. It looked promising as the button that locks the car lifted up but again no luck.

So there we were completely locked in with no way out and we all stated to panic.

I tried to phone my wife but kept dialling the wrong number and the tension started to build as we all realised we were trapped inside.

It was a terrible feeling something I never want to experience again totally trapped inside my BMW with no way out.

Eventually my wife returned to see us banging on the door and she opened the car to our relief.

This can't be right I thought so when I got home I tried locking the Z3 with the key and again I was locked and the only way out was using the key. Luckily in a Z3 I could manually take the roof down.

So I then tried the X1 same thing no way out unless you have the key. And the my son's Mini, just the same.

So I then called the dealer that I have bought all my cars from over the years and told them the problem.

“No sir this can't happen you just need to pull on the handle twice and you will be fine.” Was the reply.

“No I said, go and lock the door when you are inside and try getting out of the car without the key.”

“But why would you do that sir?” Implying that I am a bit stupid.

“Well you go and try it.” And with that the conversation ended.

5 minutes later my BMW sales rep calls me.

“Nick it's a security feature so that once the car is locked from the outside everything is switched off and disabled.”

“But what happens if I have a crash or an electrical failure” I argued.

“Nick this can't happen if the key is in the ignition the doors would open automatically, trust me” and “Now you know about the dead lock you won't do that again” he continues “It's the same for all German cars.”

I said thanks put the phone down and thought what would I prefer? A car that is difficult to steal or a car that lets me out of if I get locked in. Plus I have to trust technology in an accident and hope the doors will open.

Just imagine if the car caught fire and you could not get out! Here is an article about when your battery dies and you can't get in http://www.bmwe34.net/E34main/Trouble/Locked.htm well what happenes if the battery dies when you are inside the car? And here is one more link about being locked in a BMW http://www.bimmerwerkz.com/forum/5-s...ugh-61470.html
Here is one more http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...-inside-my-car

So I then searched YouTube and quickly found a tragic story of a young 14 year old girl that had suffocated. Her brother had a lecture an hour before her so he left her in the car as she slept and locked it.