View Single Post
Old 26th December 2016, 20:47

Badrep is on a distinguished road
Default Project BadRep - Another MRS200 build

I realsied I was hijacking some threads, and that we all bought the kits as Andy sold the molds, so I'm starting a new thread as one of the four!

I've also got a thread on Retro Rides too which I'll be filling in - link here

Like the others, I've only just started, and it's also my first Kit Car. I've got a TINY garage and am planning an engine transplant of a Volvo T5 engine that I've been building for a while.

The RR thread is a few pages in, so I'll start this thread by summarising what we have on there.

The New Project:

So I'm taking an MR2 chassis, sticking a (approx) 400bhp Volvo T5 engine in and sticking a group B Ford RS200 - a kit called an MRS200. I looked at a load of different options for kit, but either too expensive, too hard to find, or just not quite right. Anyway - I've ended up with this one and there's, no going back.

If you haven't seen them yet, this is one of the completed kits

It's going to be different though.

It's getting a Volvo T5 engine with bucket loads of torque and bhp..... and it's getting Bagged. It's a rare car that has a double win from air-ride as you get the awesome look then its aired out on the ground, and raised up you get the stiffness and firmer ride for handling and you get that badass group B rally look too. in theory anyway.

Here's the target:

Not Strictly pre mid 90's as it's a replica with a later MR2 chassis, but it's in the spirit as I'm sure you'll agree.

The engine was going into another project but that one sadly died a death, however I did end up with a large number of performance parts that need to go in something. I am FULLY aware that there are more suitbale engines, and also fully aware that there are better turbos that spool faster, but it's what I have and more importantly what I want to put in there, even if it does work out harder, more expensive etc. I've been collecting those parts for years and are a little connected to them.

They include:

2006 V70 2.4 T5 engine, with 2.3 ported and flowed head (was going to on into an 2002 V70 sleeper so needed single VVT)
Lightened pulleys
Single Mass flywheel
S60R clutch
Quaiffe LSD
6 speed M66 box
Hahn Racecraft Super 20G turbo (a Mitsubishi TD05/06 hybrid)
650cc Bosch Injectors

ECU is likely to be an Emerald K6

I'll put a cage in there if I can too.

Here's the engine:

bottom end is the stronger 2.4 T5 and the head is a 2.3 T5 with single VVT but has been ported and flowed nicely- it was going to go into a 2002 V70 as a sleeper, but that project went tits up sadly.

he turbo is a Hahn Racecraft super 20g, which is a blend of a Mitsibushi TD05 and a TD06. Popular in the states as it is high flow, relatively fast spool and affordable. This might change if I get some spare cash as I know it's not perfect, but I have it and its massive.

To put it a bit on the wild side, It's getting air ride too - I think with a rally car you end up with the best of both worlds - air it down and you get that cool look, but raise it up and you get the stiffness for better handling without looking silly. The kit I'm looking at is fully adustable - damping, ride height (threaded) and ride height (air) so you can adjust accordingly and balance weights too

It's going to be a challenge, for a few reasons - that engine will be a real b@$tard to get in there. Nothing about it will be easy. I also have a tiny garage, although I've just plumbed airlines all through it and it's got a lot of power, but it's small. I'm planning to strip the body off the Mr2 this week (just started today) and then rest the body over the car whilst I do the engine transplant.

I've also never done an engine transplant, so help me God.

I do have the luxury of owning a relatively large 3D printing company - so will be aiming to make a few parts there if I can. The big one being the intake manifold if I can't get the standard Volvo one in the Mr2.

Anyway, here is the first few pics of the project:

As you can see, not much in the way of space.

Here is the first bits removed

And it's here!

This is the biggest thing I've ever had delivered

Had to go on backwards so I can still get to the engine bay!

Chocking and spacing panels to avoid damage

As you can see, there's still not much space, however everything is on the front end, so I can work 'unrestricted' on the engine change.

This is the most visually exciting post you'll see for a while - the next move is the engine change, so you won't really see the car looking like an RS2000 for months.

As you can see - all is very early stages and there are a lot of challenges, but I'm ready and I'm sure there'll be a lot of helpful advice from both here and the Retro Rides forum!
Available from eBay