View Single Post
Old 7th November 2021, 09:26

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

I wouldn't worry too much about having to retrofit computer control systems to existing classic cars or even recently bought production cars.

The way I interpret that bit is that vehicle manufacturers will be required to add those systems to existing production models they are building. i.e. from the relevant date, they will have to start churning out whatever their current model range is from the production line with those systems fitted.

I'm not sure what the vehicle legislation is like Down Under, but up here in the UK, our Road Vehicle Construction and Use Regulations and Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations contain lots and lots of clauses which recognise the fact that a vehicle that was constructed to the letter of the 1965 regulations (for example) isn't going to comply with many of the subsequently amended regulations, but remains completely road legal just the same.

Although it requires a bit of a leap of faith - although they are tried in the same Courts, Construction and Use offences aren't Criminal Offences in the UK, but Road Traffic Offences - that could be viewed in line with Article 7 of the Human Rights Act -

Article 7: No punishment without law
1. No one shall be held guilty of any criminal offence on account of any act or omission which did not constitute a criminal offence under national law at the time when it was committed.

So, common sense should prevail and those of us with existing classics and kit cars will soon be able to gracefully waft past the latest Supercars on the motorway at a giddy 71mph and give their drivers a cheery wave as they eat our fumes