View Single Post
Old 20th December 2012, 23:04
Enthusiast

rossnzwpi is on a distinguished road

Hi, great news about your 246 plans. My preference for a modern alternative to the Dino V6 would be for another Italian V6 renowned for its sportiness. That points to an Alfa V6. These are found in everything from 164, 156, 166, GTV with manual, auto or selespeed gearboxes. They come in original 12 valve for low down torque to 24 valve and capacities of mainly 2.5, 3.0 or 3.2. Apparently they are not as light as some more modern engines - I know my 164 3.0 V6 felt @&$?@@@@ heavy when I tried to lift it by hand! They are very reliable and tuneable and have been called the best engine in the world. Not so sure about the current Alfa/General Motors version.

An Audi V6 with longitudinal gearbox might be good, although with arguably less soul than an Italian. The same engine can be found in a VW Passat longitudinally. Passats also have straight 4, Narrow angle V5 and the oddball W8 with twin narrow angle banks of 4 cylinders each. I'm not sure that manual gearboxes ever came with these. Two wheel drive boxes could be a problem - most had 4 wheel drive. Porsche used the two wheel drive Audi box originally in the Boxster - so there's another option. Subaru also have a longitudinal, very short boxer engine in 4 or 6 cylinder variants. (See Murtaya kit car).
That is my 2 cents worth, all the best with your builds,
Ross in NZ