View Single Post
Old 8th February 2008, 07:33
Kit Car Dreamer

speedtripledan is on a distinguished road
Default killer bonnets

I had the very same thing happen to me last august, I was on the A14 doing 70 mph and my bonnet lifted and pinned me in the car i had to stop blind in the fast lane and end up in the gravel 2 inches from the barrier, how no one went in the back of me i will never know. I ended up with a very swollen left wrist and brushing from shoulder to shoulder across my chest. My bonnet lifted as a result of the bonnet catches working loose on one side and falling off. My car was the last ever "factory built" 2b before RH went bust and miraculously reappeared as GBS. what I have done is completely changed the design it is now a 3 piece bonnet with the scuttle and nose cone bolted to the car and 4 catches holding the rest down I’ve also ditched the screen and weather gear and gone for aero screens, after driving home with the screen missing and a helmet on I realised that the weather gear and screen aren’t worth the hassle I went through heavy rain @ Cambridge and all i had was slightly damp trousers at my pockets when I got home 100 miles later.

I have heard of loads of sevens losing bonnets but they are mostly down to people leaving the catches off, but in the case of the 2b's you are mean't to have a second catch like a production car according to RH (GBS) why did mine not have one ?

It also took RH (GBS) from August to last week to make the new bonnet ! nothing ever happens quick with them.
I now know why its is called an alligator style bonnet not because it looks like one but because it tries to kill you !
Dan