View Single Post
Old 23rd October 2021, 23:36
Enthusiast

rossnzwpi is on a distinguished road

Unfortunately this was pasted on Facebook by one of Dehavilland's customers: "I spoke to Terry Groves yesterday. Very sad news. Forced to close because Ferrari sent a legal team after him for breach of copyright and damage to their brand. The GRP mould has now been cut up. He's looking into restoration of real Dinos instead."

I did a quick search on Google for trademarks relating to Dino and Ferrari does have the name and logo script trademarked but I couldn't see anything about the shape of the car. They famously tried to shut down an Italian coach builder who wanted to make a 250 GTO - modern 'inspired by' car, which only had a few styling cues. While Ferrari quickly won the case, the other company counter-sued and Ferrari was reminded of the use it or lose it European trademark law. Since they hadn't used it in 5 years Ferrari lost all rights to the 250 GTO shape - except for licensing toys. Interestingly Ferrari had registered a 3D model of the 250 GTO with their trademark. I guess you'd need to be building actual cars and not letting your trademark lapse.