View Single Post
Old 29th May 2015, 03:44

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Hi Swifty, I'll let you know how the adjustable dampers and 180lb springs work out on the road once I've driven it. I've set the height at their lowest setting, which made the spring and damper assembly the same length as the cut down ones that were on it, and I've set the ride adjusters one click firmer than the standard dampers, but they can easily be adjusted on the car.

One thing to note with the dampers was that the upper locking collar has a sleeve that centres the bottom of the spring by sliding inside it about half an inch rather than an inverted cup as on the standard shocks. My new springs were about 2mm too narrow inside diameter to fit, so I had to shave about 1mm all round the sleeve with the angry grinder. That's probably down to aftermarket springs rather than the dampers, but it wasn't a huge problem.

Not sure if you recall, but I switched to mk1 Spitfire 150lb springs as the Vitesse front springs were far too stiff after reducing the car's weight by around 330kg's. Even with a straight six my car only weighs 680 kilos, and I know a lot of people will tell you that short 330lb 'uprated' springs are the best for a sporty car, but I have very fond memories of the Peugeot 205 GT I had in the 80's which handled superbly on soft springs with firm dampers. Just remember that the tyres can't grip if they're not in contact with the road.

As for the knackered axle, It's just pure luck that it didn't completely fail and strand me with no drive in the fast lane of the M25. If I ever find out who the bodger was I'd have a few choice words for him...