View Single Post
Old 6th January 2016, 18:12

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Mr T - Thanks for that.

As the photos from your build remind me of all the work you had to do to get the car looking the way you wanted.

And clearly your final car was well worth all the effort involved.

I think production of the Cordite had already been stopped by the time the Ribble Demonstrator was on sale at Stoneleigh.
( So they gave up trying to get the bonnet to hinge and simply bolted it in place and cut out an access hatch. )

Note: Quite by chance, I found this German site today with more photos of that silver demonstrator:
http://kfzoo.com/Sammio-Spyder-Cordi...ot252207991968

Anyway, by stealing your "scissor" hinge design, I was able to set my bonnet much lower that the demonstrator.

With the added benefit that the bonnet opens fully, without doubt, one of my proudest achievements on this build.

Although my use of the Spitfire bulkhead instead of the original Cordite set up meant the bonnet came up well short of the revised body work.

But given that the rear of the bonnet had the wrong profile too, that was the least of my worries.

The reality is that, despite the ridiculous amount of work required, I am very happy with the overall look I have managed to achieve.
( If you remember, this time last year, the driver's wing was still separate from the rest of the bonnet. )

Once all the wheel arches have finally been taken care of, I should be left with a car that evokes the spirit of the '50s.

Cheers, Paul.