View Single Post
Old 3rd November 2015, 23:22
Enthusiast

Mike is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by morris View Post
For a general running report:

- The car pulls very well once you get over 4000rpm but feels a little 'normal' up to that point. I think this may be a point of view thing and the inaccuracy of my backside dyno rather than anything to do with actual performance, I just expected to be a little scared, and wasn't. I think the swap to a 3 litre M50 stroker or something generally more hefty in the engine dept needs to move up the todo list

- having the shocks set on 1/2 way stiffness is way to much for my spine. I'm going to set them back to nice and soft and jack up the rear a little. I'm sure for the track having this adjustment is great, but for the road, I'd advise just saving the money and buying standard dampers. I suppose the spring rate on the rear springs supplied by marlin (400lb) could be part of the problem too.

- I need to look a bit harder at tyre pressures and toe angle. Since dropping the pressure to 23 psi and swapping to a few mm toe in, you have to very deliberately straighten up after pulling out at junctions etc and concentrate on keeping it in a straight line normally.
Hi Ian

Your first impressions are very much like my own:

Performance below 4000rpm seems bland - I expected more, but over 4000 rpm and it feels lively, but very quickly hits the limiter: this is why I started to persue the M54B30, as it has significantly more low down torque due to the longer throw crank, bigger capacity, and the DISA which changes the runner lengths to improve low down torque.
Maybe you are sub-consciously comparing it to your 3.0 Tourer, or your M3?

My shocks are GAZ adjustables - the common concensus is run them on only 3 or 4 clicks above the softest setting.

Self centreing seems to be more of a black art than a science - I kept increasing castor, and found the self centreing worked better going backwards! Once I have had it painted and rebuilt it, I will have a professional wheel alignment set up to see how much self centreing I get.