View Single Post
Old 24th June 2017, 18:43

lancelot link is on a distinguished road

BOOTLID UPDATE :-

Here's the boot hinges in place and mounted to a 2mm steel plate holding them together which the wooden braced bootlid is attached to ...currently just screwed in place , but after paint will gain some adhesive as well ...

The bootlid in the closed position ...I have gapped it a bit , but will leave final gapping in the capable hands of the Jeffmeister ..

Graham asked if we could create a little boot area rather than the spare wheel cradle that is normally the case ...I shaped some 3mm ply to give him a curved boot floor , added a 3mm back edge with acess hatch to get to the number plate area and path for the loom ...3mm front face with slot cut to accept the front of the spare wheel and give you access to the diff , rear spring area ...some 12mm sides and ledges give some space under the rear wings and tie the bootfloor into the inner arches which are joined with screws , adhesive and fibreglass ...A combination of rivets , glue and fibreglass bonds it all together ....

The plan is to carry a stock 13'' 'spacesaver' spare , which with removal of the wire wheel and adaptor will get you home ...the removed 15'' wouldn't fit back in the boot , but in an emergency or get you home measure could be put in the passenger side footwell/seat area or clung onto by the passenger ! , not ideal , but better than no spare ... I suggested Graham carry an aerosol tyre inflater foam as well and if the tyre is still on the rim , he has another option to limp home too ...
Even if you never use the spare , the extra bit of ballast won't do any harm on these cars lighter rear ends either ...

Last edited by lancelot link; 24th June 2017 at 18:51..