Thread: Rear Springs
View Single Post
Old 10th July 2013, 22:13

NigelB is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by morris View Post
hopefully once a few more E36 based cars are on the road we'll build up some advise on what to go for to get the ride you want. The main thing is you picked the right length so it should sit nice and level once the body is on.
I now have 500 miles on the car (E36 based) and on any surface other than a motorway or recently resurfaced "A" road my suspension was bottoming out with spine crushing bump and a deafening noise.

So today I have replaced my 6" 300lbs springs with 7" 400lbs alternatives. I have also cut 10mm off the skirt of the upper spring platform to further reduce the chance of the upper and lower platforms coming into contact. And the ride is now perfect. No more bottoming out and little noticeable difference in the stiffness of the suspension. She feels taught but compliant and very secure even on fast corners with uneven surfaces. I had to drop the swing arm off its pivot point to give me enough room to get the 7" spring in but it has certainly given me a lot more travel to soak up the bumps.

So 7" 400lbs would be my recommendation. I have a rear axle weight of approx. 550kg with two up and the length and rate seems well suited.

Nigel.

Last edited by NigelB; 13th July 2013 at 11:39..