View Single Post
Old 23rd May 2021, 20:07
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

A few more jobs off my list this week........
In no logical order I'll start with the speedo sensor access hatch.
I started by cutting a piece of damp resistant mdf. The round hole is to provide clearance for the sensor cable.

Hatch by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

I then PU glued it to a piece of thin ali.

Hatch2 by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

And I painted the inside to prevent moisture ingress. It was fitted with 4 self tappers and a very thin beed of RTV silicone sealer to allow removal, if necessary.

Painted hatch by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

Another thing that needed to be addressed was that I had already fitted the window switch cables in conduit and attached them to the gearbox tunnel and I was concerned that I would end up with an unsightly bulge in the carpet.

Window switch cables by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

I was not happy about this so I stripped out the conduits shown above. And then to reduce the thickness to a minimum, I turned the cables into a kind of 'ribbon cable' by sticking them to PVC insulation tape.

Window cables by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

I then ran the cables in some flat PVC sleeving and glued them to the transmission tunnel with contact adhesive.

Window switch cables by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

There are a few more wiring jobs that I need to do and a general tidy up before I refit the dashboard but I'll come back to those in future updates.

Another small job I've completed this week is fitting the front bumpers which was very straightforward.
First the bumper support bars are fitted after trimming the grommets to size.

Bumper bar and grommets by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

The bumpers are then fitted with 16mm of washers per the RMC manual.

Front Bumper by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr
Front Bumpers by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

So that's another couple of jobs ticked off my list.........

Stay safe, Peter

Last edited by peterux; 24th May 2021 at 07:29.. Reason: correction