View Single Post
Old 19th July 2012, 07:49

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnysoutherner View Post
And before any smartarse points it out, I know you can't actually ask John Delorean.
I know a medium who might disagree...

On the subject of prices realised, like art, an old car/kit car/Koenigsegg is worth what someone is prepared to stump up for it. In addition to building cars I do a bit of metal detecting and I once found a small silver coin minted by the Earl of Northumberland during the Angevin civil war of the mid 1100's. It was a penny, 17mm across that had been cut in half to make a halfpenny for small change. The intrinsic value of the silver would be about 25p, but it was extremely rare. At auction it made £750 because a couple of wealthy collectors really wanted it.

I also recall an article in a kit car mag in the eighties where a chap with a 718 RSK replica he'd built for £5k had been hailed down by a young guy with red braces and a Countach. He offered twenty grand on the spot for it (enough to buy a decent two bed semi at the time) even after the owner explained it was a beetle in a party frock. IMHO I don't think people are asking anywhere near enough for their Spyders - the starting price should be in five figures if you want people with money to take notice.