View Single Post
Old 24th May 2012, 17:19

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Yes it does sound great - really throaty without being deafening. It's a standard single box stainless system. Most of it came with the donor but the back box is from Canleys. 'nother video below...

Thanks for the heads up on the needles btw. I've not set the carbs up at all yet, just stripped them down and replaced all the rotten diaphragms and seals then fired it up and hoped for the best!

I'm still toying with the idea of making my own air box and plumbing in the water/methanol injection system I've planned to use from the start. It's occurred to me that it's taking me forever to finish the car though, so I might just add that after it's on the road.

Good news today was that I've located the oil leak and it wasn't the sump gasket after all, it was the filter not seating properly and allowing oil to piddle out. That's sorted now I've also all but eliminated the water leaks, apart from a little dribble from where the thermal switch sensor enters.

Slightly less good news is that the clutch bites way up near the top of its travel which suggests that I need a new clutch plate. Unless anyone can tell me another reason it would do that? My cheapo ebay thermal switch is also kaput, it doesn't seem to want to kick in at a set temperature any more, you keep having to fiddle with the dial and sometimes it just switches off the fan when it's set to maximum. I'll source my next one from someone I can send it back to if it's defective.

Anyway, more video. Not as exciting as Phil J's 'moon rover' blasting around his private land but pretty exciting for me. Oh, and see if you can spot the moment where I work out the inadvisability of holding the shell on with nylon ratchet straps that I hadn't realised were touching the exhaust...

More later.

Last edited by Mister Towed; 24th May 2012 at 17:46..