View Single Post
Old 19th February 2013, 21:20
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

Week 25 update .... part 2!

After lots of trial and error in the foot-well and modifying holes and drilling new ones I managed to get a position for the servo.

Servo positioned by marlinpeter, on Flickr

Brake master cylinder - I can't see any issue fitting this with its reservoir fitted.

Brake master cylinder by marlinpeter, on Flickr

I had to position the pedals as far to the right and as high as possible to create the best possible chance of fitting the servo. (the MDF is only temporary!!)

Pedal box by marlinpeter, on Flickr

Pedal positions need a bit of work but it shouldn't be too difficult to achieve a better spacing. They are also a bit high so I might need a spacer block under the carpet on the floor.

Pedals by marlinpeter, on Flickr

I can just about get the rocker cover on and off with the servo in place but not much clearance for the engine to rock sideways?

Servo/rocker cover clearance by marlinpeter, on Flickr

So this is as far as I've got this week but there is a lot more checking required....
In the following picture it all looks good but there is still a lot a checking to do like the bodywork, bonnet, radiator space and steering column, etc.

More checking required.... by marlinpeter, on Flickr

There is also one fundamental problem and that is the bodywork is still jacked up on 40mm blocks of wood. My original plan was to carve up the gearbox tunnel to lower the body but if I do this the servo will certainly not fit.
If I do fit this type of engine I will need to modify the chassis to lower the engine and gearbox by about 45mm.

I need to do a lot more measuring and thinking about the consequences before embarking on carving up the chassis.

Now where is that angle grinder